Monday, March 18, 2013

FW: All Glory, Laud, and Honor - Old Tune ?

 

An interesting proposal…

 

Feed: HYMNOGLYPT
Posted on: Saturday, March 16, 2013 7:33 PM
Author: Matt Carver (Matthaeus Glyptes)
Subject: All Glory, Laud, and Honor - Old Tune ?

 

Repost from 2010.

Below is my tentative proposal for an alternate melody for the palmarum processional All Glory Laud and Honor (transl. of the "Gloria, laus, et honor"), mainly to avoid stealing a tune from another hymn (i.e. Herberger's "Farewell I Gladly Bid Thee"), mutilating it to fit it into another hymn . . . Following my tune I include an example of how a similiar thing was done long ago for the German vernacular version. I am no musician, so I welcome corrections and suggestions. Since it is used for the processional, it might be better to make it rhythmic as below.


Work in progress version:


Here is the music for the old German vernacular version. Note that the melody is somewhat expanded. The verses here (Israel es tu Rex) use what appears to be another melody from that in Liber Usualis.



View article...


View article...