The Action Bible presents 215 fast-paced narratives in chronological order, making it easier to follow the Bible's historical flow and reinforcing the build-up to its thrilling climax.
The stories in The Action Bible communicate clearly and forcefully to contemporary readers. This compelling blend of clear writing plus dramatic images offers an appeal that crosses all age boundaries.
Internationally recognized artist Sergio Cariello has created attention-holding illustrations marked by rich coloring, dramatic shading and lighting, bold and energetic designs, and emotionally charged figures.
Let this epic rendition draw you into all the excitement of the world's most awesome story.
- This is an improved version of the 1978 The Picture Bible. Much of the text is identical. Some is more specific than before. Some of the transitions between Bible accounts/stories has been changed.
- The art is much improved for a modern audience. The previous edition looked like second-class comics of the 60s and 70s and was getting dated by the 80s and 90s. Part of the update is a switch from a white background/edging to a black story canvas. This looks like the best comics of the 90s and today!
- I would be willing to share this with a young person in my care (personal or pastoral) with the following in mind:
- The added text (compared to TPB) at the very end (744) encourages "decision theology." In addition to Jesus depicted knocking at the door, a Biblical image showing His action for us, the rectangle states: "Jesus stands at the door and knocks. Will you let Him in?" What of John 15:16? What of Joshua 24 in context? How is this teaching consistent with Romans 2 or Psalm 51:5? Our human will is not strong enough to "decide." Does Scripture not say that we are dead in sin and enemies of God? This box could be blacked out by a parent.
- I liked the title, The Action Bible, because I assumed the focus would be on God's action, especially in Christ. The introduction (7) ends with this line: "How will you answer God's call to action?" This puts the focus on us rather than the Lord. Pages 6 and 7 could be glued together.
- The account of Job omits Job's fourth friend (42). A parent could add his advice from a full Bible.
- The conclusion of St. Peter's Pentecost sermon should refer to repentance, baptism, and the promised benefits of Holy Baptism (656).
- Similarly, teaching on the Lord's Supper (623) is minimal and could be much improved.
Published in partnership with Concordia Publishing House, this new full-color children’s Bible combines the complete ESV Bible text with more than 120 new, vibrant illustrations of major Bible stories. Accompanying each full-page illustration is the Bible story itself, clearly and accurately retold for young readers—and for the parents, grandparents, and teachers who read to them. Each story includes a Key Bible Verse to memorize, Additional Readings for discovering more of the story throughout the Bible, and simple Reflection Questions to help children begin to understand and apply God’s Word. Colorful icons make it easy for young readers to see where each story is found in the Bible text and to locate the illustration that goes with it.
In addition, dozens of Bible characters are profiled throughout the pages, and color call-out sections provide illustrated facts about important Bible objects, structures, and places. Each Bible book begins with a child-friendly introduction, highlighting the important characters and themes found in it.
The ESV Seek and Find Bible is the ideal first “real” Bible for pre-readers and young readers, ages 5 to 9, to grow up with. It is also a wonderful resource for parents to use in family Bible reading and for teachers who teach the Bible to young children.
- More than 120 full-page, full-color illustrations
- Simple Bible story retellings for each illustration
- Age-appropriate introductions to each Bible book
- Key Verses to memorize
- Illustrated profiles of more than 60 major Bible characters
- Illustrated facts about Bible objects, structures, and places
- Reflections Questions for children, parents and teachers (Crossway website)
Children will love this beautiful, full text ESV translation of the Bible that has been paired up with over 120 vibrant illustrations taken from our line of Growing in Christ paintings. This is the ideal first "real" Bible for children as they read along with parents and teachers for home and classroom use. Perfect for children ages 5 to 8 as a way to increase understanding and personal application of the Bible.Features include:
- Book of the Bible Introductions
- Reflection Questions
- Illustrated Character Profiles
- Key Bible Verses
- Central Themes Throughout the Bible
- Additional Scripture Readings
- Salvation Outline
- Six Chief Parts of Christian Doctrine
Engage in devotional, Christ-centered Bible reading and study with the distinctive, comprehensive notes and practical application of The Lutheran Study Bible.The compact size makes it very convenient to carry around with you wherever you go. The soft, flexible, and textured synthetic cover material is complimented with a striking debossed cross design.This new Bible is the first in English to be developed from the ground-up with notes that are distinctively Lutheran, prepared by Lutheran theologians and pastors from over twenty Lutheran church bodies. Current Lutheran scholarship, insights from the Church Fathers, and rich devotional commentary provides meaningful perspective for both young and mature Christians.
Features all of the same great content found in the regular editions but in a more compact size.The Lutheran Study Bible features:• 26,500-plus uniquely Lutheran study notes.
• Over 2,000 application notes and prayers for every part of the Bible.
• 80,000 center column cross-references.
• Over 900 cross-references to 120 full or half-page maps, charts, and diagrams.
• 220-plus articles and introductions to biblical books and topics.
• Insights from early church, medieval and Reformation era church fathers.
• Uses the English Standard Version translation, one of the most precise English translations available.
• Durable Smyth-sewn binding.
Dimensions are 5.25" x 7.25"
Weight: 2.75 lbs
For more information and to see samples visit cph.org/lutheranbibleAlso available as an eBook (ePub)(http://www.cph.org/p-18093-the-lutheran-study-bible-compact-duotone-royal-blueblack.aspx)