Critical reviews (by Lutheran pastors and church musicians) of books and other resources for Christian worship, preaching, and church music from a perspective rooted in Holy Scripture, the Lutheran Confessions and good common sense. LHP Quarterly Book Review asks, "Is it worth the money to buy, the time to read, the shelf space to store, and the effort to teach?"
Feed: starke Kirchenlieder Posted on: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 9:33 PM Author: Stephen P. Starke Subject: The Call Of God Ordained You
This text was written for the 25th ordination anniversary and retirement of Pastor Richard A. Bolland. It is set to the tune VON GOTT WILL ICH NICHT LASSEN (LSB 713)
1. The call of God ordained you A watchman for the Lord! Each day God has sustained you, To be His people's ward, His counsel to proclaim: The Law—its condemnation; The Gospel—its salvation For all in Jesus' name.
2. The Lord does not desire That any die in sin; Instead He would inspire True change of heart within, And so He sends His Word— That all might be repenting, Their judgment thus preventing For wickedness incurred.
3. How unforeseen that power Christ resurrected showed, When in that evening hour His Spirit He bestowed: "The sins that you forgive, They truly are forgiven, On earth and high in heaven." Each penitent shall live!
4. "The sins you are retaining Before the Father's face, Are debts by those disdaining My Father's heart of grace." Yet these Christ would receive: "How often, yes, how often, I prayed your heart would soften And you your sin would leave."
5. The watchman's voice is crying, "Turn from your evil way!" Still some, his call defying, Resist and disobey. You died for these, Lord, too! Your mercy is most shocking; It seeks to save the mocking Who know not what they do.
6. The watchman's sacred duty Proclaims good news from God; His feet are rare with beauty And with the Gospel shod. God's spokesman lifts his voice: "Those marred by sin's defiling, God's grace is reconciling. Return! Believe! Rejoice!"
7. You, son of man, unswerving, Have spoken for the Lord. We, whom you have been serving, Thank God with one accord! We say so gratefully: "Dear watchman, you have led us; Dear pastor, you have fed us— To God all glory be!"