Saturday, October 8, 2011

FW: Herr, neig dein Ohren, erhör mich

 

Cantemus…

 

Feed: HYMNOGLYPT
Posted on: Thursday, October 06, 2011 2:06 PM
Author: Matt Carver (Matthaeus Glyptes)
Subject: Herr, neig dein Ohren, erhör mich

 

Here is my translation of the hymn paraphrase "Herr, neig dein Ohren, erhör mich" (J. Dachser, †1567), modeled, without much variation, on Inclina Domine (Psalm LXXXVI), which supplies the Introits for the 15th and 16th Sundays after Trinity according to the Lutheran use (cf. Lossius). Dachser, like many of the authors of psalm paraphrases later picked up by Lutherans, was Reformed. The tune is "O Herre Gott, begnade mich."




BOW DOWN Thine ear, Lord, I implore!
Hear me, who hopeless am and poor:
Let me not be rejected,
Who am Thy saint elected;
God, help Thy servant who on Thee
Depends and calls unceasingly
And pleads: O Lord have mercy,
I for Thy balm am thirsty.
O Lord, my soul I raise to Thee,
For Thou art good, of mercy free,
Abounding in all steadfast love,
To all who cry to Thee above:
Lord God, receive my prayer!


2. Give ear, Lord, to my pray'r, I plead!
On Thee I call in time of need,
When trouble threatens near me,
Then dost Thou ever hear me
Among the gods is none like Thee.
With all Thy deeds and majesty.
The heathen shall before Thee
Be gathered and adore Thee
And give all glory to Thy name
For Thou art great, Thy works have fame,
And Thou art God eternally.
Lead me, Lord, in Thy way that I
May walk in Thy truth ever.


3. My heart let joy exceedingly
To fear God's name. Thanks give I Thee
With all my heart, O Savior,
My Lord, who help'st ever.
Unceasingly Thy name I praise,
Great is to me Thy loving grace,
Which brought my soul redemption,
From deepest hell's damnation,
The proud are risen up, O Lord,
Against me, and the mighty horde
Doth seek my soul; my death they prize,
They set Thee not before their eyes,
Nor find a cause to fear Thee.


4. But Thou, O God, art merciful
Most gracious, and amenable,
Thy truth and goodness send me,
Lord, ever to defend me.
Oh, turn and mercy have on me,
Give me Thy servant, strength from Thee,
Help to Thy maid's son showing
For heavn'ly good bestowing
A sign, that they which hate me may
Perceive it and be shamed alway,
For Thou, Lord God, with aid art nigh,
In need my comfort dost supply
If I but call upon Thee.


Translation © Matthew Carver, 2011.


GERMAN

1. Herr, neig dein Ohren, erhör mich,
denn elend und dürftig bin ich,
bhüt mein Seel unverhindert,
denn ich bin dir abgsündert
Hilf mein Gott deinem Knecht, der sich
auf dich verläßt und ruft täglich
zu dir: Herr, dich erbarme,
tröst die Seel deines Armen,
O Herr, mein Seel heb ich zu dir,
dann du bist gut und gnädig mir,
von grosser Güte allen den,
die dich, Herr, treulich anrufen,
mein Gott, vernimm mein Beten.


2. Merk auf die Stimme meiner Bitt,
Herr Gott, ich ruf [dich] zur Zeit der Noth,
wenn sich mein Angst thut mehr[en]
[dann] thustu mich erhören.
Untern Göttern ist keinr dein gleich,
mit allem thun, so groß und reich,
des werden für dich treten
all Heiden und anbeten
und deinem Namen geben Ehr,
dann bist du groß und thust Wunder,
und bist allein Gott ewiglich,
leit mich, Herr, deinen Weg, daß ich,
in deiner Wahrheit wandle.


3. Mein Herz freu sich zu fürchten sehr,
deinen Namen ich danke dir Herr,
mein Gott, von ganzem Herzen,
dann du hilfst mir aus Schmerzen
Ich lob dein Namen ewiglich,
groß ist dein Güte über mich,
du hast errett mein Seele,
aus der untersten Helle,
die Stolzen setzen sich, O Gott,
wider mich, und die mächtig Rott
steht meiner Seel nach alle Tritt,
und setzen dich für Augen nit,
daß sie sich darum fürchten.


4. Aber, Gott, du bist barmherzig,
genädig und sehr langmütig,
dein große Treu und Güte,
Herr, mich allzeit behüte.
Wend dich zu mir, erbarm dich mein,
gib deinem Knecht die Stärke dein,
hilf deinr Magd Sohn bevesten,
und thu an mir zum besten
ein Zeichen, daß es vernehmen,
die mich hassen und sich schämen,
daß du mir beistehest, Herr Gott,
und tröstest mich in meiner Noth,
wenn ich dich anruf. Amen.


View article...


View article...