Tuesday, October 19, 2010

FW: Why Shawn Is a Lutheran

From the Lutheranism 101 Blog…

 

Feed: Lutheranism 101
Posted on: Friday, October 15, 2010 6:28 AM
Author: LauraL
Subject: Why Shawn Is a Lutheran

 

I suppose at some point a person has to struggle with the question, "Why am I a Lutheran?" My family has been Lutheran for well over a hundred years in America, bringing the same Scriptural and confessional conviction from Germany. I am appreciative of the faith which has been handed down to me.

Yet, I realize that I am free to leave Lutheranism at anytime, but I don't. How can one give up the pure Gospel of Jesus Christ? I cannot give up the forgiveness of sins which He earned for us on the cross and freely gives to us. The grace and forgiveness given to me in baptism, confession and absolution and the Lord's Supper are too precious to exchange for the works righteousness of other confessions of faith or for the fleeting messages of many of today's other churches.

Lutheran Service Book #618, "I Come, O Savior, to Thy Table," is a precious hymn to me. I grew up in a large Lutheran congregation, one which was well over 100 years old when I was a young boy. During Holy Communion, distribution of the body and blood of Jesus was an investment in time as the many people came to receive this gracious gift. Oftentimes, perhaps almost every time, we sang all 15 stanzas of The Lutheran Hymnal version. Now that the best ten stanza are before us, it is still a great comfort, stretching back many decades now, to of the great comfort Jesus brings to me and all communing at His Table. [Note: Listen to an excerpt here.]

Rev. Shawn L. Kumm
Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church, Laramie, Wyoming

Share


View article...