Thursday, June 23, 2011

FW: Ach, HERR, wie lang willt du jetzt mein

Cantemus…

 

Feed: HYMNOGLYPT
Posted on: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 1:11 PM
Author: Matt Carver (Matthaeus Glyptes)
Subject: Ach, HERR, wie lang willt du jetzt mein

 

Here for the First Sunday after the Feast of Holy Trinity is my translation of the hymn "Ach, HERR, wie lang wiltu ietz mein" (B. Waldis, 1553), a paraphrase of Usquequo Domine (Ps. XIII), the source of the proper Introit for the day, and having the original title, "Gebetpsalm wider schwermütigkeyt des geists, daß Gott trösten vnd helffen wölle" ["supplicatory psalm against spiritual melancholy, beseeching God for comfort and help."]. The melody is unavailable (unless you have a copy of Waldis' Psalter Gesangsweise…). I am inclined in lieu of that proper melody to use "Es wollt uns Gott genädig sein," a well-known melody already associated with the psalter.

 

AH, LORD! how long wilt Thou persist
Thus wholly to forget me?
How long Thy face conceal in mist,
While many woes beset me?
How long dismay
Bow down each day
My heavy heart and spirit?
Mine enemy
Seeks after me,
How long must I still bear it?
How long shall he stand o'er me?

2. Oh, Lord, behold my misery,
And hear my poor petition,
Incline Thy gracious ear to me,
Look down recognition:
All sorrows chase
That mar my face,
Mine eyes with grace enlighten,
That trouble may
Not have its way
Nor death my body whiten,
Lord, let me live before Thee.

3. Oh, help me, Lord; delay not long,
Nor let me be defeated,
My foes would gloat in all their wrong,
"Our vengeance is completed!"
When vanquished I
In ruin lie,
As if by Thee forsaken,
Then would their pride
Fore'er abide,
And say, I was mistaken,
To trust in such a Savior.

4. And yet my hope is in Thy grace,
O God of my salvation;
My heart rejoices to embrace
Thy word of consolation.
I'll spread abroad
Thy name, O God,
For all Thy goodness given;
With songs of praise
Thy glories raise,
On earth, and then in heaven
With praise that lasts forever.

Translation © Matthew Carver, 2011.

GERMAN

1. Ach, HERR, wie lang wiltu ietz mein
so gar vnd gantz vergessen?
Verbirgst das frölich antlitz dein,
weil mich vnfäl besessen?
Wie lang sol sich
ängsten teglich
mein seel vnd hertz verschmachten?
Wie lang sol doch
der feind mir nach
stellen vnd gar verachten
vnd vber mich erheben?

2. Ach, HERR, schaw doch auff mein elend,
wölst mein gebet erhören,
Dein gnedig ohren zu mir wend,
dein antlitz zu mir keren,
Mein angesicht
laß trawren nicht
vnd halt mein augen offen,
Daß mich die not
nit senck inn todt,
für leyd nit werd entschloffen,
HERR, schaff, daß ich mög leben.

3. Ach, hilff mir, HERR, machs nit zu lang,
daß meine feind nit bochen,
Sprechen ›wie wirt jm ietz so bang!
wir haben vns gerochen.‹
Wann ich ohn sieg
darnider lieg,
als hetstu mein vergessen,
Dann werden sie
jmmer vnd ie
hoffertig vnd vermessen
sprechen, jn sei gelungen.

4. Ich aber hoff auff deine gnad
vnd weyß, du hilffest gerne.
Mein hertz sich des gefrewet hat,
dein trost ist mir nit ferne,
Darumb sol dir
all zeit von mir
so lang ich leb auff erden,
Weil deine güt
wol an mir thut,
dein ehr verbreytet werden
vnd ewig lob gesungen.


View article...